Saturday 12 December 2009

Editing Journey Starts Today

My NaNo novel had long enough rest. About 2 weeks, maybe a few days less, and for now it's enough. NaNo novel resulted in a good outline method for me. Now, I am hoping it will result in a good editing method. I don't have a preferred editing method yet, because none of my previous edits have resulted into what I would call a successful result - the book that I am satisfied with, and the knowledge that it's as best as I can make it. So that is my intention for this novel. To make it as best as I can make it, and as I work through editing and revising, I will post on what works for me, what doesn't, and will be most happy to hear any tips/suggestions you have for editing methods that work for you. So first step is a simple read through - but out loud. Well, most of it aloud, because even my chatty mouth needs a rest sometimes. As I read through the book, I am not making any particular changes, though in places where it's an obvious but simple mistake - for example a typo where I have typed "and" instead of "end" or something like that, I correct it. But I don't pause to change any sentences or anything. If something strikes me strongly enough to make a note (i.e. reading one particular pargraph, I thought there should be more information from one of the characters) I make a quick note on a post-it with a page number. I don't see the point in printing out a copy so early after the first draft, because I know there will be a lot of editing required so it would be a waste of paper. I will print out a copy after I have gone through quite a bit of editing. Then looking at paper should provide a fresh view. I plan to get through the first step as quickly as possible, to get the feel of the plot and how it feels to read it. Then the real work will start.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with your edit. I usually need more than a couple weeks away. I agree on not wasting paper. Usually, however, I will print a second draft and mark it all to hell in red. That really makes the third draft much better. After that I don't normally print another copy because I'm usually only changing small things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm with Matt.

    When it comes to edits, I like to print everything I can, but usually I just do a read through out loud and fix what I can. When it comes to revisions, I have all sorts of methods that I use, so I won't list them all here.

    Anyway, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the revisions. I like to edit by reading the story aloud. By the end of the day I usually loose my voice, but I find things I'd miss just by reading it silently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck!

    Due to the way in which I edit (my first draft is the most time consuming by far), I print the first draft out so I can read and work on it without mussing up my eyes. Further edits are done on my PC. :)


    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. As for wasting paper, trees are replaceable (you can buy from sustained forests), my eyes aren't. ;-)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt / Jenna / Adam,

    I have printed off first drafts before, and found that to be quite useless, only because as soon as I mark up initial changes and find plot holes and update things on the PC (which I do almost immediately) the print-out is useless. It's not so much about saving trees (after all, I am sticking only to paper books and not e-books), as about the clutter because I haven't gotten around to buying a shredder yet. Besides, when I read a print-out draft, I want it to feel more like a solid novel.

    And LOL Adam - didn't you just buy a sony e-reader?

    Tara,
    I find reading a loud definitely helps too. I get far better feel for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, good luck with your edits! I'll be looking forward to seeing how things progress, and what methods you settle into. I like reading out loud when I'm doing copy edits...amazing how much it helps to hear it (especially dialogue).

    I have to print out my first draft for edits - but I'm going to try the one-pass revision method (which will probably be 2 passes this first time), so will be marking it all up and making many notes as I go through it. I miss so many things when I try to edit on screen...for some reason, I catch far more stuff on a paper copy.

    Can't wait to see your progress on this...we'll have to compare notes, so to speak. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did indeed buy an E-reader, LW, but that's only for books I can't get in print. I love printed books too much. ;-)

    It's no good for edits, as I can't make notes on it. :(

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jamie,

    You are right. We will have to compare notes :-) I will be posting all about my methods as I learn them. And I am interested to hear how the one pass method works for you. I vaguely remember reading about it on Holly's website. But can't really remember anymore what it was supposed to be.

    Adam,
    I agree. Printed books are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete