Wednesday 12 August 2009

Writing Craft

I finished reading "Revisions & Self-Editing" by James Scott Bell today. Really enjoyed it. But more than that it really helped me. My two WIPs which have first draft finished were written long time ago. Since then I have learned a lot more about the craft. But so those two WIPs seem very daunting to edit, because there is so much I must change. So this book gave me techniques and little helpful hints, but above all, encouragement that no matter what mess the first draft may seen, if I am willing to take my time and work at it, it will be better. Of course taking my time doesn't seem at all easy for an impatient soul like me, but it's something I will just have to learn. Here is one interesting message I got: First draft = hot & fast Revisions = cool & slow Very good message in my opinion. Hopefully, by learning all these new stuff about craft, the next first draft I start will be less of a mess than previous ones.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. I have a first draft also that I am not sure I will ever go back to. I really want to write the story, but I don't know if I really can. I've drifted off to other stories for a while though, and that first one is in the back of my mind waiting. Good luck on your revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wonder at times that I don't want to go back because I have always been the type to start something from scratch rather than fix it. However, I know the stories are good. I just need to find a good way to tell them. Also, editing is the bigger part of becoming a writer, so sooner or later I will need to learn it, and I will need to get used to it. So might as well start with the good stories I have.

    However, I do hope that with all that I am learning, the next first draft will be bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read that one yet--I'll have to look for it. Ine I really like is Self-Editing for Fiction Writers. That one is fantastic.

    Good luck on revising!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, thanks for commenting. Yes, I have heard about "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers" and I plan to buy it shortly, since it's got some great reviews.

    ReplyDelete