Friday 3 April 2009

Naming Characters

A rose by any other name may still smell just as sweet, but a character with a wrong name could end up looking like a right plonker.
I have been trying to come up with names for the main characters of my novella. Now imagine, my alpha male hero being called Herbert, or a kick-ass heroine called Jean (apologies to all Herberts and Jeans...I am sure you are all lovely people). It just doesn't sound as cool as James Bond or Scarlett O'Hara.
But I have been doing some research, and of all the sites I have searched, this one is my favourite: http://www.behindthename.com/
So now, I just have to pick two names out of my short list. Then I can get on with more plotting. Writing about nameless people is not nearly as satisfying as writing about those with names - giving them a definite identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment